Aurora Quest K-8 Counseling Office Mission Statement
The Aurora Quest K-8 Counseling Department supports academic and personal growth for all enrolled students in order to graduate educated, well-rounded, and responsible young adults.
Aurora Quest K-8 Counseling Department accomplishes its mission by:
- Maintaining a comprehensive counseling department aligned with district, state, and national standards and competencies.
- Assisting students towards academic improvement and a plan of study, placement into appropriate courses and programs, attendance improvement, and study skills development.
- Assisting students towards meeting their APS Individual Career and Academic Plans (ICAP).
- Assisting students towards personal/social growth concerning self-esteem, communication skills, decision making, relationship skills, and empathy.
- Supporting students’ emotional and physical safety at Aurora Quest K-8.
- Providing crisis intervention services and follow-up services as needed.
- Providing support and collaborating with students’ parents/guardians, teachers, administrators, and community agencies to ensure management and delivery of counseling program activities.
Guidance Curriculum Lessons
The purpose of these whole class lessons is build students’ social-emotional and 21st century skills in developmental sequence. Some topics include: conflict resolution, bullying vs. teasing, communication skills, time management, goal-setting, career exploration, etc.
Small Group Counseling
Small group counseling for students in need of social skill development or academic skill development is primarily accessed through data review and teacher referral.
Individual counseling is for students with the greatest and most immediate needs. These are students that may be in crisis or those in need of targeted skill development. Students will typically meet with the counselor for 4-6 sessions of brief, solution-focused counseling. These sessions are to address specific skill deficits that impact a student in the school environment. If a student needs more significant support than can be provided at school, parents are encouraged to consult with the counselor to determine the best course of action.
Consultation with Staff and Families